This is the eighth part of 9 parts that discusses the techniques of website promotion through search engines. It may be useful for you if you are currently developing a website, plans to create a website, or already have a website but not optimal in terms of number of visits. Website optimization methods for the search engines is also known by the term Search Engine Optimization or simply SEO.
--> Click here to get more ebooks <--
::: Submit to Directory
Yahoo! and the Open Directory Project is the second largest directory of potential to increase your website traffic. Remember that the directory uses human editors to receive the website. This article will explain what to consider before you register the website to several major directories.
You now may already have the perfect doorway page with a meta tag the best in the world. But be careful, because your face is not a spider, but an editor of a human being like you. All the tactics and proven strategies for the search engines will not apply here. What can you do ...? Read the tips below and compare with the state of your current website.
(1) Try to keep your website have their own domain name. Most of the websites that received the Yahoo! using top level domains, and only a few who use the sub domain that can be accepted (unless your website has unique content).
(2) The domain name should reflect the content of your website.
(4) Each directory has their rules. Please read these rules prior to your website avoid disqualification.
(5) Register your website on the appropriate category and the most specific. See also how many websites are already listed in that category. Try to find the category with the fewest competitors.
(6) Submit only the main page only. If you register your other pages that are subsets of the main page will most likely be rejected. Unless the page actually has a rare content.
(7) Consider how long you can to re-submit your website (eg 2 months). If you have not registered, do submit again in that time period.
Here your patience truly tested. Every day, Yahoo accept registration of more than 10 million sites. While that can be handled by the editors is about 5 to 10 percent only. So be patient for re-submit within the time specified. If you want fast, you can use express submission facility. Guaranteed website will be reviewed within 2-7 days. But Yahoo charges you USD299 per year, for this facility. This only guarantees that your website reviewed more quickly, is not guaranteed to be accepted.
Please note here that the purpose of your website register to Yahoo is not increasing visitor to your website, but to complement the collection of links to their directory. So your chances will be greater, if you can provide a website with unique content in their directory. It is very beautiful gift if your website can be accepted at Yahoo for free for now. Nothing, because it becomes very difficult since Yahoo changed its policy in late 2001. Especially your website belonging to a business website, only express submission can save you.
Currently Yahoo! is still the most crowded directory (about 25.4% of all internet users) plus the search engine Google as its default (over 5% and rising). But there are interesting things. AOL, Altavista, Netscape, and Lycos, when combined have 40.5% of search engine users around the world. These four search engines use the database from the Open Directory Project (ODP). So be very profitable if your website is listed in ODP (www.dmoz.org). Other directories should also be noted is Looksmart. Looksmart database is used as the main result on MSN, Altavista, Excite, and iWon. But you have to spend money of USD149 to be listed on Looksmart Network.
Ikuti pelatihan online produktivitas untuk lingkup bisnis, pribadi dan rumah tangga
Your organization need assisting in improving productivity and profitability at low cost? come to us
You need a discussion forum of management system such as QMS ISO 9000, TQM, lean mfg., EMS ISO 14000, OHSAS 18000, ISO/TS 16949, six sigma, BSC, and so on? join with us for free.